Role of the Advocate
THE ADVOCATE (adapted from Memphis State University, 1979 Conference on Violence)
- We are here to listen… not to work miracles.
- We are here to help people discover what they are feeling… not to make feelings go away.
- We are here to help people identify their options...not to decide for them what they should do.
- We are here to discuss steps with people… not to take steps for them.
- We are here to help people discover their own strength… not to rescue them and leave them still vulnerable.
- We are here to help people discover how they can help themselves… not to take responsibility for them.
- We are here to help people learn to choose... not to make it unnecessary for them to make difficult choices.
- We are here to provide support for change.
1 (800) 705-7993
Call us day or night!
Ending Violence in Carbon County One Family at a Time